The federal and state government sponsor EBT cards to people who are under SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program). SNAP helps low-income families to buy nutritious food and goods in an affordable process. Almost all the large retailer companies accept EBT cards. But, does Kroger Accept EBT?
In April 2020, Kroger started to accept Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards as a payment system for their pickup services. The card is accepted in any location of Kroger. You can use the card just like any debit or credit card.
In this article, I will talk about how you can use your SNAP/EBT card at Kroger to buy food. However, you should also know that not all food items are eligible to be purchased by EBT cards. So, I will also tell you which items you can buy with the card.
Can you use an EBT card at Kroger?
Similar to most of the top retailer stores, Kroger has also started to accept SNAP/EBT cards. The company has considered the needs of low-income people and decided to offer the benefits of SNAP via EBT cards.
Many superstores like Wal-Mart, Target, and Costco, have been accepting EBT cards from people under SNAP. Hence, they were also able to attract low-income families to their stores. This is another reason why Kroger announced the acceptance of SNAP benefits in stores and pickup points.
The company started to accept EBT cards in some stores at first. Then, it allowed the card in all the locations of America. Thus, people under SNAP can now easily shop for their groceries from Kroger. These are the 35 states where you can use your EBT card at Kroger:
Arizona, Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Maryland, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, Nebraska, North Carolina, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington, Wyoming, Wisconsin.
How To Use EBT Card at Kroger Stores
Do you have an EBT Card? Do you want to use it at any Kroger stores but don’t know how? No need to worry. You can easily use an EBT card at any Kroger store. It is as simple as using a debit card.
An EBT card lets you redeem the benefits of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits at Kroger stores. Here is how you can use your EBT card at the Kroger store:
- Buy your daily groceries and other goods as usual.
- Go to the cash register counters to pay for your purchase.
- You have to swipe your card like a debit card in the card reader machine.
- When you swipe the card, you will be asked to give your 4 digit PIN.
You cannot buy just any food items and goods with an EBT card. So, make sure to buy foods that are eligible to be purchased by an EBT card. You will see the list later in this article.
However, you do not have to separate the items eligible for the EBT card from other items while you are paying for them. When you swipe your EBT card to pay for the item, the computer will charge only for the eligible items from the card. Then, you have to pay the extra money for the other products.
Can You Shop Online with EBT Cards?
Recently, Kroger has allowed customers to use their SNAP/EBT cards for online shopping. People are becoming busier every day. Many of them do not like spending their valuable time shopping at grocery stores or standing in a long queue.
So, retailer companies have introduced online services like pickup to the customers who want to avoid crowded places. With the option of pickup, Kroger lets you order groceries online. Customers can use their mobile phones or computers to order from Kroger.com.
You can choose a pickup time convenient for you, and an associate of Kroger will deliver the items to the pickup location of your choice.
How To Shop Online and Pay with EBT Card for Pickup Service?
Kroger promises that the company has always acted on thinking about the benefit of its customers. It has been trying to bring new ideas to save the time of the customers in different ways.
Besides, the safety of every customer is also important for them. Hence, the company started to accept payments from EBT cards as well.
So, if you think you want to shop online from Kroger using an EBT card to save your time and energy, here is what you can do:
- Go to Kroger.com or the Kroger app from your mobile phone.
- Select the location of your pickup point.
- Browse for grocery items that are eligible for buying with an EBT card and order them via the website or the app.
- Select a pickup location from the list of locations, and choose a time most convenient for you.
- When it is time to choose a payment method, choose “EBT at Pickup”. So, make sure to take your EBT card when you go to pick up your items.
- After you confirm your order, an associate of the Kroger store of your choice will purchase your items.
- At the time of your pickup, go to your preferred location. Find the pickup sign of Kroger. It might be the parking lot of a store. Then call the number you are given to get your groceries.
- An Employee of Kroger will come with your items and a card reader. You have to swipe your EBT card. You can also pay through a mobile-point-of-sale system. Again, you have to pay for the non-eligible EBT card items through other options.
Over these few years, Kroger customers are becoming more interested in pickup service for various reasons. Thus, the company has increased its employee and associate numbers so that it can deliver items to customers quickly. Moreover, Kroger has minimized the fee for its Pickup service.
What Is the Benefit of Using an EBT Card?
From no tax to free funds for covering your food essentials there are plenty of benefits to EBT cards for those who need it.
The state agency of America started SNAP to help families who have very little or no income. When a person applies for SNAP, the authority will review his or her application. If the person or family fits the program, they are issued an EBT card which they can use to get the benefits of SNAP.
Every month their accounts are credited with SNAP benefit dollars which are linked with EBT cards. Here are the benefits of using an EBT Card:
- No Tax: As an EBT cardholder, you do not have to pay tax while you are shopping for groceries
- Dependable: You will get money for buying groceries every month in your account. There will not be any delay.
- Rollover: If you have money left in your account, it will be added to the next month’s allowance. So, you will not lose any money.
- Similar to a Debit card: The EBT card looks like a debit card. Hence, you do not have to hesitate or be self-conscious to stand on the same line with other shoppers.
- Secure: An EBT card is secure like any other card. It has a 4 digit PIN that only the user knows. So, you can protect your SNAP benefits from criminals.
Which Items Can You Buy Using EBT Cards?
When going grocery shopping with your EBT card it is best to know which items are covered by it and which are not. Here is a list of foods that are eligible for EBT card:
- Dairy products
- Bread, cereal, and granola bar
- Fruits and vegetables (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- Dessert items
- Candy and Chocolate of specific brands.
- Soft drinks
- Frozen foods
- Snacks like chips and crackers
- Seeds, plants, and nuts
- Non-alcoholic drinks
- Cooking oils
As you can see there are a large selection of items that can be bought using an EBT card. But a monthly pay out of $125 means you should be resourceful when spending.
You should always make a list of items you need to purchase from Kroger with your card. Make a budget accordingly and get the items that you actually need. This way, you can make the best of your government benefits which is essential if you’re solely dependent on it.
Which Items Can’t You Buy Using EBT Cards?
Items like prepared foods, alcoholic beverages, medicines, vitamins, paper products, household products, pet food, tobacco products, cosmetics, and other feminine products, cannot be bought using your EBT card.
You have to understand that you cannot use your SNAP benefits to get anything you want from Kroger or any other store.
EBT cards are meant for unfortunate low- or no-income individuals who sustain their right to nutritious food. So, logically, food items considered to be unessential for that individual are not supported by EBT.
What Are Other Retailer Companies That Accept EBT Cards?
Hundreds and thousands of stores accept EBT cards these days. The big names of supermarkets and retail businesses are also included. Apart from Kroger, other large companies that allow EBT cards are:
- Family Dollar
- Costco and Sam’s Club
So, if there is no Kroger store or pickup option near your area, you can visit these stores to use your EBT card for SNAP benefits.
So, does Kroger accept EBT? The simple answer is yes, Kroger accepts EBT cards. The company has modified itself to become convenient for all customers. EBT cards are a lifesaving benefit for thousands of Americans. So, it is comforting to know that a store near you supports this program.
Hopefully, you have learned all you need to know about using an EBT card for purchasing groceries from Kroger. Best of luck to you, and have a nice day.