Most people know DoorDash as the famous food delivery service for grocery chains, fast food, and local restaurants. It’s easier than ever to deliver some nice quality meals to your doorstep with their service. What if all that is missing for that meal to be perfect is some cold, fine beer? But does DoorDash deliver alcohol?
Thanks to DoorDash, you can get your desired alcoholic beverages from warehouses or stores delivered to your doorstep. If the state you live in allows it you can also order your drinks from local restaurants and breweries if they have a partnership with the food delivery service.
Now that you know whether you can purchase alcohol using DoorDash or not, you might be curious to know some more information. You might want to find out how you can buy the drinks through the food delivery service and what requirements you have to meet. I will cover all of these and more in the rest of the article. So without further ado, let us get right to it.
How Can You Order Alcohol from DoorDash?
Using DoorDash, you can buy delicious alcoholic beverages from restaurants, breweries, stores, warehouses, and more from the comfort of your home.
They will be delivered directly to your doorsteps along with your desired meal from your favorite restaurant. You do not have to go through any complex process. You can order from the DoorDash app or their website.
Before everything else, you will need to open an account with DoorDash if you do not have one already. In the U.S., the customer has to be 21 to order drinks using this service. You have to be 19 if you are from Canada. Then you just have to go through a few easy steps on the app or the website.
Ordering alcohol on the DoorDash mobile app is very similar to how you would order food. It is straightforward and quite simple. Here are the steps for you-
Step 1: Start by launching the DoorDash app on your phone. You can download the app on both Android and iOS mobile devices.
Step 2: Fill in your current address.
Step 3: Put in your desired restaurant, pub, bar, or brewery in the search field.
Step 4: Choose the alcoholic beverages and their quantity and add them to your cart.
Step 5: Go to the checkout to finish your purchase.
The DoorDash website has a separate page dedicated to alcohol. So it is far easier to order alcohol from the website. The simple steps you have to follow are given down below-
Step 1: Go to the official website of DoorDash.
Step 2: Proceed to the section that says “Alcohol near me”.
Step 3: Put in the delivery address in the search field.
Step 4: Look for the option “Find Restaurants” and click on it.
Step 5: Instead, you can also find the special page dedicated to alcoholic beverages. From this page, you will find the best places that serve alcohol in your city.
Step 6: Decide where you want your alcohol from.
Step 7: Choose your desired alcohol and add them to your cart.
Step 8: Proceed to the checkout to finish your order.
Do You Need Your ID to Order Alcohol from DoorDash?
You will need to keep your ID close if you plan to order some alcoholic beverages from DoorDash.
The law states that you have to verify your age before alcoholic beverages get delivered to you. In Canada, you have to be at least 19 to have alcoholic drinks delivered to you. As for those in the U.S., you will need to be 21 or older.
Since a meal is not complete without the right drink to accompany it, a food delivery service to deliver both sound amazing. With DoorDash, you can order both with ease. However, different from ordering food, you will need to get your ID scanned before being handed the alcohol.
Every DoorDash driver must have a valid ID with a government-issued photo as well. To verify the legitimacy of the ID of the customers, they have an app downloaded on their smartphone. The app can scan your ID to check if it is valid. It is required by the law for dashers to verify the age of their customer.
So when you order alcohol, the driver will ask to see your valid ID before handing over the alcoholic beverages. It’s best to remember that the driver will ask for your valid ID every time you order alcohol. So you will be asked for your ID even if you have ordered alcohol through the service before. This will happen even if you have the appearance of someone over the age of 21.
The ID card will be considered valid only if it includes your date of birth and a photograph. There are other acceptable forms of ID as well. These include:
- Your valid driver’s license. It should be issued by the federal, state, county, or municipal government of the U.S.
- A military ID. The ID should contain your name, date of birth, description, and a picture to prove its validity.
- Your valid passport.
The Dasher is also to make sure that the ID card is not fake or invalid. All the verifications can be a bit too much. But do remember that these are according to the law and patiently following through is extremely helpful for all. A few of the things they must make sure to check are:
- The expiration card. Expired ID cards are unacceptable.
- You will have to remove the ID from your wallet for the dasher to check the ID properly.
- The face of the customer and the photo from the ID card will have to be compared to verify it is the same person.
- The fake IDs have rough edges compared to the smoother edges of a legitimate ID. So the edges of your ID card will need to be checked.
- Your ID will need to be checked for any glue lines, bumpy texture, or uneven surfaces. A valid ID has an even and smooth surface.
Locations Where DoorDash Doesn’t Deliver Alcohol
DoorDash delivers alcohol only in the states where it is allowed to sell alcohol. If you live in a state that allows alcohol delivery from local stores, restaurants, breweries, and others, you can have them delivered just about anywhere. But even in those states, there are places where DoorDash will not deliver drinks.
The locations where DoorDash won’t deliver alcohol to the customer are:
- Public or private schools
- A business where alcohol is sold (e.g. liquor store, breweries)
- College campus
- Prison, reformatory, veterans’ home
- Locker storage service or similar
- State capitol grounds, reformatory, prison, or veterans’ home
What are the Driver’s Guidelines for Delivering Alcohol?
When you are ordering alcohol on DoorDash, it is very straightforward and easy for the customer. But it is not the same for the DoorDash driver. A dasher has to follow a few strict and specific sets of rules when they are delivering alcohol. Such hard and fast rules are not for all. For this many dashers do not enjoy alcohol delivery.
The set of rules and regulations they have to go through are:
- Alcohol pick-up: Only Dashers that are 21+ can take alcohol orders. You must carry around your valid driver’s license to pick up an order that includes alcohol.
- Age and ID verification: You will have to check the age of the customer before handing over their alcohol to them. The customer should carry a valid ID or passport or driver’s license or a military ID. The alcohol should only be handed over after you have scanned the validity of the ID.
- Intoxication check: You have to check if the customer is already intoxicated or not. Check for physical signs of intoxication and signs of behavioral intoxication. If you judge that the customer is intoxicated, you must not deliver the alcohol to the customer.
- Restricted locations: There are specific areas such as schools, government facilities, and others where you are prohibited to deliver alcohol. So under any circumstances remember not to deliver alcohol to these places.
- Judgment: If you are dealing with a customer who seems suspicious, has a dubious ID, or the situation seems unsuitable to deliver alcohol to it is best to use your judgment and not complete the delivery.
- Signature: Before handing over the alcohol, you will need the customer’s signature to finish the order.
Is Ordering Alcohol Through DoorDash Worth It?
These days everything is conveniently and readily delivered directly to your doorsteps. So it’s only natural that alcohol can be delivered directly to the comfort of your home as well. Among all the delivery services, DoorDash offers both alcohol and food delivery services. So when you are ordering food from your favorite food, if they sell alcohol you can order that along as well.
You can order alcohol from DoorDash using both their app and their website. Both of them are extremely easy to use and you won’t have much problem using either of them. The website especially has a specific page only for alcohol. You can visit the page to find the popular restaurants, stores, breweries of your area and order from there.
When you order alcohol from DoorDash, you will be charged about $5 to $8 per delivery. Since this doesn’t include the tips you might give to the dashers who deliver your orders, it is comparatively more than other delivery services. But when you get their subscription service, DoorPass, it’s rather cheap and convenient.
With a DoorPass, any order over $12 will be free delivery. The subscription service costs $9.9 a month. If you are someone who likes to eat at home often, it might be very useful for you. Another great plus is that you won’t be charged any alcohol service fees for choosing pickup orders.
So when you’re at home missing the taste of cold beer to go with your meal, DoorDash can be a lifesaver. Launch the app or go to the website to have your favorite alcohol ordered to your doorstep as soon as possible. The bonus is that your first order is completely free of any delivery charge.
Who doesn’t like some nice, cold drink to go with their meal. If DoorDash is your go-to service to order meals from your favorite restaurant, the question “Does DoorDash deliver alcohol?” might have popped in your head at some point. Well for those people it's great news that DoorDash delivers alcohol if it’s within a state that allows alcohol delivery.
This article has compiled everything you might need to know when you order alcohol from your local restaurant, breweries, stores, or others. I hope you will have no problem enjoying the great alcohol delivery service from DoorDash. Thanks for reading this article and make sure you don’t drink too much.